Thursday, October 26, 2006

Gettin' Muddy & Takin' Classes

There are things you just can't learn from a book or video! I have many books on pottery and a couple of DVD's. These are great for ideas and tips and tricks but to really get started you need to take lessons or be shown by someone first hand. Pottery is such a hand's on skill and a lot of things can be learned by handling clay to see what it will or will not do, by pushing the clay and yourself to the limits. But the basics of centering and throwing clay are rarely self-taught.

I have been fortunate enough to be taking a beginners class in pottery fundamentals - hand-building, throwing on the wheel and glazing right here in Squamish. I already had some basics but I have much to learn and have learned so much in this course. I'm very excited about the up-coming wheel throwing class with Kay Austen!

Needless to say, I have many pieces right now. Luckily I have lots of family members!!!

Oh and I pick up a kiln on Saturday!!! My very own kiln! It needs a little work but it should be running in a week or so!!!!

More to come on that!!