Sunday, February 11, 2007

Another Show!

I received a call on Wednesday (Feb 7) with an invitation to be a part of the Wild at Art show next week. At first I thought, "I am not ready nor do I have enough stuff for the show". Then I thought I have just enough time to run the kiln and no I am not ready for something like this, but what the hell?!?!? I will probably look back in years to come and think how crazy I was to display my amateur pieces BUT right now I am pleased and proud of the results that I have had in just 5 short months.

I was wondering how I could swing it as I had a pottery course this weekend (hand-built tea pots with Kay Austen) and I needed to run a bisque and glaze fire plus clean up all my glazes that froze in our recent cold snap. This is our busiest time of year at work too (yes I have a real job) but I had just enough of a break to manage some time to make this happen. If the invite came any later I would not have been able to pull it off.

Wednesday night I loaded up the kiln and candled (low temp) the kiln all night long as some of my pieces where not dry enough. Thursday I ran the bisque fire and mixed and re-sieved all my glazes. Friday morning I unloaded the kiln, glazed everything and reloaded the kiln for the glaze firing. I was able to see the results Saturday before running off to my tea pot making course!

I still need to catalogue and price everything, plus clean the bottoms, do up my bio (bought some nice hand-made paper), update my online gallery, etc, etc, but I will be ready in time for Tuesday. I will update my blog when my pieces are displayed at the Wild at Art show.

For more information on the Wild at Art show, please visit
www.WildatArt.ca. "Wild at Art is the festival that will showcase Squamish to the world during the 2010 Olympics. This year the Wild at Art festival is growing from 2.5 days of festival, and ten days of viewing the Art Gallery, to a 10-day festival. We are building to a full 17-day festival in 2010."